Hellooo Persimmon!

A family favorite. My mom and dad especially love persimmon so when the fall season approaches they get very excited to eat them. Most people don't know what they are or how to eat them which I find so strange! But I guess there are foods out there that I probably don't know about it.

Here's a quick fact sheet on persimmon and how you can use them to make delicious recipes.

Persimmon fruit have two different kinds: Jiro (round pumpkin like shape) and Hachiya (acorn shape). They start off as a yellow-orange color and when it gets ripe turns into a reddish/orange color. Jiro can be eaten like apples, minus the seeds and just slices ready to eat. Hachiya persimmons need to be fully ripe before consuming and I personally like them over Jiro kind. Most homes have Jiro trees but the past two years my dad have been going to a neighbors house to pick their gigantic Hachiya tree. Darn i wish I would have taken a picture. This year we went a week before Thanksgiving and picked about 300 persimmon. It was crazy! My parents were thrilled and beyond excited.

Korea, China and Japan are amongst the top producers of Persimmon. Brazil, Israel and Italy are also up there as well.

So people ask how do you eat persimmon? Well as mentioned before you can slice Jiro persimmon and eat them, put them in smoothies or through a juicer. Hachiya is where you can get very creative. Persimmon Sorbet, Persimmon Bread, Persimmon Cookies and more! When ripe, you can literally grab a spoon and scoop directly and eat it. Today I made a batch of persimmon muffins. I mixed the essential ingredients (baking soda, flour, sugar and nutmeg) and in addition I put some crushed almonds and walnuts (dry fruit works too). For baking purposes, scoop the pulp out of the persimmon and throw away the layer and bake away!





It is a great fall/winter treat! High on Vitamin C, Calcium and other nutrients!

Comments

Popular Posts